Sunday, February 28, 2010

growing up too fast

A week before Christmas, Liz and I were at my parents, and went to church with them. My Mom had given her a new dress. As we were heading out the door, she said something like “If we were home, I bet all the boys would think I was pretty.” As I thought about this, I realized that when I was in primary with her, she was almost always sitting by at least one boy, sometimes in the middle of two of them. This might not seem like such a big deal except in her class, there are 3 or 4 boys, and 6 or 7 girls.
You might be asking why I’m bringing this up now. Today she happened to be wearing that dress again. When we got to church, we sat at an end of one of the long benches. At the other end was one of the boys from her class, and no one was in the middle. This particular boy, she has said several times that she doesn’t like him very much because he talks too much. I’m sure most of you are laughing at this and thinking they are two of a kind. (At least I did). For the first little while of the meeting, I kept looking at her, and thinking that she was moving closer to the other family, but it was only a little at a time, and she was usually looking at the Bishop speaking, or over at us, never at the boy at the other end. It was almost like she was playing some sort of game. We have taught her that she has to wait until the talks start before she can color or anything like that. As soon as they started she grabbed her crayons, and moved to the other end to sit and color with him. When it was over, she handed them back, and left, and we didn’t see her until church was over.
I have been warned by so many people that dating and things like that start a lot earlier now, but she is only 6, I thought I had at least a few more years!

No comments:

Post a Comment